To prepare for this Assignment:
- Research your state or province’s laws regarding end-of-life advance directives such as do-not-resuscitate orders, durable power of attorney for health care, and living wills.
- Complete at least one of the end-of-life advance directives listed above. See the AARP website in the Learning Resource for the downloadable forms. (Note: You will not be asked to share your completed document, only reflect upon it).
To complete this Assignment, write a 2- to 3-page paper, which addresses the following:
- What types of end-of-life advance directives does your jurisdiction allow?
- After completing the document, assess your feelings about the process. Was the document simple to complete for you? Was it challenging? Expand on your feelings of planning ahead for end-of-life decisions.
- What factors contributed to you selecting the specific document that you completed?
- What legal issues did you consider when you were completing the end-of-life document?
- What ethical factors and principles did you consider when completing the end-of-life document?
- Should healthcare providers be required to honor advance directives regardless of personal belief and institutional settings?
Your written assignments must follow APA guidelines. Be sure to support your work with specific sources from this week’s Learning Resources and additional scholarly sources as appropriate.