Directions: Interview a professional in a career field that you are interested in pursuing. (Amazon District Distribution Manager)
In order to complete a successful interview, you should obtain the following information:
- place of employment
- how long employed there
- length of experience in career
- relevant background, credentials, and education that qualify professional to work in field
- Why did you want to work in this career?
- What are your main responsibilities?
- What kinds of communication — oral and written — do you use on the job?
- How often do you write each day or week?
- Who are your main readers?
- How important is what you write to the successful performance of your job?
- Is writing important to your promotion?
- What would be a major fault in a piece of writing in your profession?
- What do you like best and least about this job?
- Would you do it all again if you could go back in time?
Questions to Help You Enter the Field
- What advice can you give to me that will enable me to be successful in this career field?
- What skills/traits/behaviors are employers seeking in hiring someone in this career field?
Use the questions above to aid in conducting the interview. In addition, ask at least three questions of your own that address particular areas in which you may be interested. Some possible subject areas for questions are below:
- career opportunities
- technology in the field
Written Assignment Requirements:
- 2 full pages
- Must utilize appropriate memo format (header and message).
- Must include an introduction that identifies the purpose, states when and how the interview was conducted, provides information about the person interviewed (name, position, company, credentials, relevant background information), and explains the reason you chose this particular person to interview.
- Must include a body that PARAPHRASES (puts into your own words) the information obtained in the interview.
- Must utilize an appropriate format that DOES NOT include a questions and answer method.
- Must utilize page design features (headings, bullets, lists, appropriate font type and size, etc.).
- Must include a conclusion that analyzes and interprets your findings from the interview, explains what you learned about the career and importance of communication in the workplace, and explains whether or not the interview benefits you as you prepare to enter the workplace.
- Must include an appropriately formatted Work Cited page listing the interview in MLA format.
- Must complete as a Word document
Sample is attached. Do not follow the the exact format please.