Required Resources Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 10, 11
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source (in addition to the textbook)
Initial Post Instructions Consider one of the following current social issues – or one of your choice:
- Opioid crisis
- Legalization of recreational or medical marijuana
- Elimination of the electoral college
- Gun control
For the initial post, address the following:
- State your position on one of these issues – are you for, against, or neutral? Explain why. Avoid vagueness or ambiguity in your response. Make your position very clear.
- Examine how you have formed that opinion.
- How well do you think you know the facts?
- Do you know and understand statistical information that applies to the issue?
- Do you think you have formed your opinion using only System-1 thinking, or have you applied System-2?
- What part have heuristics, cognitive bias, and dominance structuring played in how you have formed your opinions?
- The initial post is not about how “correct” your position is; it is about how you arrived at your position on the issue. This discussion requires application of metacognition – thinking
- Facione, P. A., & Gittens, C. A. (2016). Think critically (3rd ed.). Pearson.
Social Science homework help