Module 03 Reflection and Written Assignment – Affirmative Action and Tolerance
Step 1: Case Scenario
Read the following case first; then proceed to the next steps.
A major cosmetics company posted a position on a local jobs board looking for a sales representative. The posting stated “Established fortune 500 company has an immediate opening for sales representative in the New York area. Candidates should have 3 or more years of experience in the cosmetics industry and a proven track record of success in this field.”
Sara and Jim both applied for the position in New York City. Sara is 24 and has 3 years of experience with a rival cosmetics company in their marketing department. Jim has 18 years of experience as a cosmetics representative who has just recently been laid off and is 49 years old. The company decided to hire Sara; and during the interview process, Jim was told that the company thought women were better suited for the cosmetics industry. It was also alluded to during Jim’s interview that the company wanted younger people to promote their product line.
Jim filed a lawsuit with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and after a year and a half of litigation, Jim was awarded the job. During this time, Sara had been a very successful employee; however, with only one position available, the company had to fire Sara.
Step 2: Reflection Part
Think about the following:
- Was this a proper decision by the EEOC?
- If you worked for the EEOC, how would you have decided on this case? Explain your reasoning.
After you have thought through your position on this scenario, apply your thinking to this week’s philosophers (Machiavelli and Hobbes) and complete Step 3 – the writing part of this assignment.
Step 3: Writing Part
For the Module 03 Assignment, in 2-3 pages share your insights and support as you address the following areas in your paper:
- In the introduction (1-2 paragraphs), explain how Machiavelli and Hobbeswould explain justify the role of the government in this case if they were confronted with this situation.
- In the analysis section (2-3 paragraphs), illustrate how these philosophers would support the use of power to illustrate their philosophy? Support your analysis with quotes or paraphrases from the philosophers.
- In the application of the philosophy (1-2 paragraphs), share your recommendations for how this case could be solved. Use APA format and citation when writing your assignment and incorporate research/support from credible sources
Remember that the written portion is Part 3. READ EVERYTHING.
APA format. In-text citations. 2-3 pages.
Also focus on philosophers Machiavelli and Hobbes.
Social Science homework help