Pathology, Diagnosis, and the DSM-5
[WLOs: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8] [CLOs: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6]
and The DSM-5 (Links to an external site.) screencast on how to access and use this resource and how to cite and reference the DSM-5. Utilize the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (5th ed.) (Links to an external site.)to support your analysis. Note that, in keeping with the focus of this class, the emphasis of your paper should be on the pathological aspects of the disorder you select to analyze.
To successfully complete this writing assignment,
- Select a psychological disorder for comprehensive analysis from the following list (Choose only one.):
- Bipolar disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- To best set up your paper for this assignment, start with an outline (Links to an external site.) of what you will include, based on the following requirements. The outline is NOT your assignment, but it helps to set up your paper for success to help identify all of the content areas and resources for your paper you will turn in. Use this outline to determine the appropriate APA headings to be applied to your paper. Do not upload an outline to Waypoint. To see APA guidelines for headings, visit APA Style Elements (Links to an external site.) in the Ashford Writing Center.
Include the following in your paper:
- Overview of the diagnosis
- Explanation of at least one theory of etiology (causes) of the disorder
- Explanation of the associated factors in development of the disorder (genetic, environmental, familial, lifestyle)
- A summary of the diagnostic and research technologies employed in clinical diagnosis, clinical and behavioral healthcare, and clinical interventions
- Discussion of treatment options of the disorder
- An analysis of the predominance of the disorder in our current society
- Next, research your topic and obtain a minimum of two scholarly and/or peer-reviewed sources published within the last five years. These sources should provide evidence-based information regarding the psychological features of the disorder. Be sure to cite these sources accurately in your paper and include them on your references page. Consider the following for this step:
- You may utilize required or recommended course materials in your work, but these will not count toward the reference requirements; however, you may cite and reference the DSM-5 as one of your sources used for the grading credit.
- For support formatting your paper in APA, visit the Ashford Writing Center’s APA: Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.) and Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.).
- Write your assignment.
- Suggestion: Complete your paper by the weekend to also take advantage of running a Paper Review (Links to an external site.) in the Ashford Writing Center to support your success.
- Access the rubric (Links to an external site.) to confirm all required components have been addressed.
The Pathology, Diagnosis, and the DSM-5 writing assignment
- Must be a minimum of four double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s APA Style (Links to an external site.)
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
MUST USE RESOURCES PROVIDED PLUS ADDITIONAL RESOURCES!!