Start by reading and following these instructions:
- Quickly skim the questions or assignment below and the assignment rubric to help you focus.
- Read the required chapter(s) of the textbook and any additional recommended resources. Some answers may require you to do additional research on the Internet or in other reference sources. Choose your sources carefully.
- Consider the discussion and the any insights you gained from it.
- Create your Assignment submission and be sure to cite your sources, use APA style as required, check your spelling.
For each prompt, write a 400-word response (1200 words total):
- Describe the structure of the Articles and analyze its strengths and weaknesses.
- How did this document pave the way for the Constitution?
- How did both documents contribute to the structure of the American government after the Revolution?
Cite all outside sources in proper APA format.
Responses to each prompt must be a minimum of 400 words. Cite all sources using proper APA format.
- Consider the separation between work and leisure characteristic of an industrial economy. How is this seen today in the “work ethic” of Americans and how does it compare to attitudes and perceptions of work in other countries?
- What effect did the invention of the cotton gin have on the slave system in the South?
- Christianity was the main religion in the colonies. What was Christianity’s role during the years of slavery and the Abolition Movement? Use scholarly internet sources if necessary.
Responses to each of these questions should be a minimum of 400 words. Cite all outside sources in proper APA format.
- The phrase Manifest Destiny was coined in 1845 to characterize the events of the nation’s western expansion, but some politicians still use this as a rational for American global actions. Give an example of an American politician who has asserted the principles of Manifest Destiny as a reason for political action. Do you agree with this politician in this instance and with the principles of Manifest Destiny as a whole?
- Choose two specific reform movements discussed in this module. Did these movements seek to transform all of society or were they focused on only select segments, either regionally, racially, or ethnically. To what extent were the objectives of these movements part of a Utopian vision compared to simply adjusting social expectations?
- What can we learn from the patterns of immigration in the mid-1800’s that would make assimilation easier for immigrants?
Your response to each prompt must be a minimum of 500 words. Cite all outside sources using proper APA format.
- How does the Republican Party of today differ from the Republican Party of the Civil War era in belief and principle? (provide scholarly references)
- What are the parallels between the American and Democratic Parties of 1850 and today’s national parties?
Civil War Soldier Diary:
Research entries of Civil War diaries and compile a minimum 500 word summary presenting a view of the life of a common civil war soldier.
Responses to these questions should be a minimum of 400 words. Cite all sources using proper APA formatting.
- What key changes did emancipation make in the political and economic status of African Americans? Discuss the expansion of citizenship rights in the post-Civil War years.
- How did various visions of a “reconstructed” South differ? How did these visions reflect the old political and social divisions that had led to the Civil War?
- Compare the move to impeach President Johnson with calls to impeach President Obama for “executive overreach”. How are they similar? How are they different? Would Congress have ample evidence to impeach?