You are a recent immigrant who has moved to the United States to attend a U.S. university. Your family has never been to the United States, and you are excited to tell them all about it, in particular the fundamentals of the U.S. government you are learning about in one of your courses.
Compose a 3-page letter to your family in which you outline the fundamentals of the U.S. government. Be sure to include the following:
- A brief explanation of the Constitution and its purpose.
- A brief explanation of two American ideals (e.g., democracy, liberty, equality, justice, freedom, or opportunity). This should include a definition and your understanding of what those ideals mean to the average U.S. citizen.
- A current event (from the last 6 months) that serves as an example of one of the two ideals you chose to explain. This will be the current event you selected in the Searching for Current Events About American Ideals activity in Week 4.
- A constitutional liberty that has benefitted/affected you as a student or a citizen in the United States. For example, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is a federal law that prohibits employers from discriminating against employees on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, and religion. Title VII also applies to private and public colleges and universities, employment agencies, and labor organizations. So if you chose this one, in your letter you would identify this constitutional liberty and how it applies to you specifically.
- At least one quality reference cited using the Strayer Writing Standards. This should be the current event article you selected in the activity in Week 4.